The institution now known as the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette was founded as the Lafayette Art Association on April 14, 1919. After a “general awakening of art interests all over (the) country and state” some of Lafayette residents saw a chance to “stimulate and encourage interest in art and to give annual exhibitions, and also to establish and maintain permanent collections of works of art.” Twenty-five citizens, led by Laura Ann Fry, including members of the Art Club came together in at the Lafayette High School at Sixth and Columbia, to found the organization. Superior Court Judge, Henry Vinton chaired the meeting and was elected President and Laura Ann Fry was elected Vice President. In less than a months time the Association gained 386 members, each paying only $1.00 in annual dues. Judge Vinton and Ms. Fry continued to lead the organization through 1924. Laura Ann Fry was a native of White County and was a practicing potter formerly associated with Rookwood Pottery of Cincinnati. She was, at the time, a Professor of Industrial Arts and Department Head at Purdue University. In 1982, the organization received accreditation by the American Alliance of Museums, and changed the name to the Greater Lafayette Museum of Art. In 2000, the name of the organization became the Art Museum of Greater Lafayette, to bring "Art" to the forfront.